Friday, April 3, 2009

Mod Squad

I understand this will be met with some controversy, but I am planning on heavily modifying a Seiko 6105-811x series diver. The one saving grace that might put many purists at ease is that I will be purchasing a 6105 that already has an aftermarket dial, hands, bezel insert and crystal. So unless you are someone who believes the only right thing to do with a watch like that is find all original parts and put it back together again, you should be OK with this modification.

My original idea was a "stealth" mod - make every black. I was even considering a black PVD coating (but that's $$$). Then I was just going to get it bead-blasted, add a colorful dial, some colorful hands, etc. But then I started thinking it might start to look ugly with all those colors. And I've seen a ton of black dials + orange hour hands mods.

What I think I have settled on is a "desert diver" mod. Yes, these have been done before numerous times, but I think for good reason. They tend to look pretty sharp if done well. To get an idea of what I am talking about, here are some examples.

So that is my current thought. I may change my mind, who knows. Time to start looking for parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment