Friday, April 3, 2009

Can of Worms

After getting my first Seiko Diver (a 6105-8000), I started reading more about them, and looking at more pictures of them, and researching the particulars of each model, etc. etc. It turns out that while my 6105-8000 is sought after, the real grail watch is the 6105-811x series. This is essentially the same watch, but the case is asymmetrical to provide the crown with some protection, and the movement "hacks" (when you pull the crown out, the second hand stops. This allows for a more precise setting of the time).

Back in the day, it was a pretty famous watch, too. It was worn by Martin Sheen in Apocolypse Now, and supposedly given to Navy Seals at some point. Whether that is true or not, it was a favorite in the military. It is known for being incredible sturdy and there are many anecdotes about the abuse one can put these watches through.
My trusty 1966 6105 Diver has withstood one Alaskan plane crash (small plane) after being left in the woods "lost" for 6 months after it broke from my wrist and flew out on crash impact until we could come back and salvage the aircraft in the spring. (Lived in Alaska 24 years)Another was our helicopter went down in the North Atlantic in the late 70's during a storm and a trip to the offshore oil platforms, we were in a raft for 7 hours in heavy seas and freezing spray. A refinery explosion in France in the 80's when several people close by were killed and my Seiko once again became airborne and was found several hundred feet away - "Two Plane Crashes And An Explosion"
I can't quite explain why I became obsessed with getting an all-original 6105-811x, but I did. And wouldn't you know, one showed up on the Seiko & Citizens forum the very next day. If I believed in fate, I would have said it was fate.

I've been wearing it for a few days now to see how well it keeps time. So far so good. Only losing about 10sec a day. I am considering it sending it off to Jack at IWW for a spa treatment, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment